The Mayor and Village Trustees monitor legislation at the local, state and federal levels to stay abreast of issues that may affect the community. Regular legislative advocacy activities include providing information and educating legislators on the impact of legislation on the Village’s government operations and its taxpayers. The Mayor is the official spokesman for the village government in all political and legislative affairs and when dealing with other elected officials.
The Village of Roselle is a dues-paying member of two associations that may conduct legislative advocacy initiatives at the county, state and/or federal levels. These associations include the DuPage Mayors and Managers Association and Illinois Municipal League. The Village is also a dues-paying member in the Pension Fairness for Illinois Communities, a coalition of business and government leaders committed to protecting local taxpayers.
Legislative Action Program
Each year the Village Board approves a Legislative Action Program that includes priorities and position statements on state and federal issues affecting local government. Below are legislative positions included in the .
- Restoring Local Government Distributive Fund revenue to fund police, fire and other essential municipal services.
- Preserving local authority and revenue to allow municipalities to serve the distinct needs of residents and businesses in their communities.
- Investing in Illinois’ infrastructure to maintain local roads, bridges, and water facilities, improve safety and generate economic growth.
- Protecting public safety retirement and taxpayers by decreasing unfunded liabilities and stabilizing retirement systems.
- Reforming worker’s compensation to ensure that injured workers receive quality care while enabling businesses to remain competitive.
What You Can Do
Government is most effective when residents are engaged. The Village of Roselle encourages the public to contact both State and Federal Legislators regarding any or all of these issues. Below are links with information on how to contact the legislators representing Roselle. In addition, please visit www.ilga.gov for additional information on State Legislators. For additional information on legislative advocacy please contact the Mayor’s Office at (630) 671-2804. Please remember, your opinion does make a difference!
- State Representative Diane Pappas
- State Representative Michelle Mussman
- State Senator Laura Murphy
- State Senator Tom Cullerton
- Search for elected officials by address (Illinois State Board of Elections)