Floodplain Re-Mapping Information
Flood Insurance Rate Map Appeals Period Beginning
The Village of Roselle hosted an informational meeting on July 17, 2017, to review updated Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) that were released by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). These maps replace previously issued maps that were released in June 2015. Report materials are available for preview on the FEMA website. After performing a search for Illinois - DuPage County, use Item ID codes 17043C0032J, 17043C0051J, 17043C0052J, 17043C0053J, 17043C0054J, and 17043C0056J, to view Roselle data.
FEMA notified the Village of Roselle on Feburary 14, 2018, that the official technical appeals period for the updated maps begins on March 1, 2018, and runs for 90 days.
Letter to Affected Residents Regarding Appeals Period
The following are a few key developments concerning the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) proposed floodplain revisions in Roselle.
Respectfully, Gregory S. Gruen, P.E.
- The Preliminary Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM), dated June 1, 2017, are now in the technical appeals phase of the map adoption process. That process will last for 90 days.
- DuPage County is currently re-studying the area for the purpose of reducing the floodplain limits as much as possible. The study is expected to be complete around June 1, 2018. Unfortunately, FEMA has informed DuPage County that the revised modeling will not be considered in the aforementioned technical appeals phase.
- It is likely that the June 1, 2017, FIRM will be adopted, as-is, on or about January 1, 2019.
- Shortly after January 1, 2019, DuPage County will submit an appeal to FEMA using the Physical Map Revision (PMR) process. That process can take 12-18 months for fully complete.
- Although DuPage County is working diligently to update the stormwater model and analysis with the best available information, there are no guarantees that the new model and corresponding floodplain limits will be significantly reduced. Please do not hesitate to contact me at (224) 518-3116 if you have any questions or require additional information.
February 14, 2018: Letter from FEMA to Roselle regarding FIRM technical appeals period
August 15, 2017: Village's letter to FEMA Requesting a re-study of the Springbrook Creek and Meacham Creek watersheds
July 18, 2017: Village's Letter to Affected Residents Regarding Public Comment Period